The new-generation Audi A4 and A4 Avant are a fascinating synthesis of technology and esthetics. All the technology in the brand’s best selling family has been redeveloped so that it yet again defines the benchmark in the segment. During the development work, high priority was placed on the reduction of CO2 emissions. All technologies were focused on reducing drive resistance.
A good example is aerodynamics: The A4 Sedan has the best drag coefficient in its class at 0.23. The new models also have impressively low CO2 emissions of 95 grams per kilometer (152.9 grams per mile) for the A4 Sedan 2.0 TDI ultra with 110 kW (150 hp); the A4 Avant 2.0 TDI ultra emits 99 grams CO2 per km (159.3 g/mi). The 2.0 TFSI with 140 kW (190 hp) emits 109 g/km (175.4 g/mi) in the A4 Sedan ultra and 114 g/km (183.5 g/mi) in the A 4 Avant ultra. The most powerful engines are two TDI six-cylinder units with up to 200 kW (272 hp). Driver assistance systems and infotainment are of luxury quality. A new generation of four-cylinder TFSI engines with newly developed combustion methods sets benchmarks in terms of fuel consumption, emissions and performance for four-cylinder gasoline engines. The A4 Sedan and the A4 Avant will be launched this fall.
At 4.73 meters (15.5 ft) long and with a wheelbase of 2.82 meters (9.3 ft) – the new Audi A4 and A4 Avant have a confident stance on the road. A prominent horizontal line on the front and rear emphasizes the car’s width. The flowing design with concise lines communicates the sporty elegance of the brand. The Singleframe grille is wide and low; the optionally available headlights in LED and Matrix LED technology (including dynamic turn indicators) make technology a visual trademark.
Up to 120 kilograms lighter
Compared with the previous model, the car’s dimensions have grown but its weight has been reduced significantly – by up to 120 kilograms, depending on the engine. The body of the new Audi models is one of the lightest in its class thanks to an intelligent material mix and lightweight construction.
The Audi A4 is a leader in its class also in terms of noise levels. All occupants enjoy generous space; the smooth lines emphasize the width of the interior. The front of the dashboard features a broad band of air outlets and a large decorative surface. At night, optional discreet contour lighting illuminates the doors and the central console. The quality of workmanship is uncompromisingly high. Colors and materials follow a new line concept allowing customers even more freedom during configuration.
Sensor-controlled opening of luggage compartment: the A4 Avant
The luggage compartment of the new A4 Avant offers basic storage space of 505 liters, which is the most of any premium model in this class. With the rear seats folded down and loaded to the roof, a volume of 1,510 liters is available. The electric luggage compartment cover and electric tailgate are standard equipment. An optional extra is sensor control for opening and closing the tailgate.
The two new models offer an abundance of intelligent technologies, the use of which is even more intuitive with the new Audi MMI display and control concept. Technological highlights of the new A4 include the Audi virtual cockpit, the Audi Matrix LED headlights, the Audi smartphone interface, the Bang & Olufsen Sound System with 3D sound, the Audi phone box with wireless charging, the head-up display, and new driver assistance systems and Audi connect services.
Information and fascination: the Audi virtual cockpit and the MMI
The focus here is on two innovations. The optional Audi virtual cockpit, a fully digital combination instrument, features a 12.3-inch LCD screen that displays the most important information in brilliant high-resolution graphics, with great detail and sophisticated effects.
The MMI control concept in the center console is also a newly designed feature and acts as the main control element. The top-end infotainment system, MMI Navigation plus with MMI touch and a large 8.3-inch monitor, has a touchpad in the rotary controller to zoom in and out and to enter characters. The entire MMI control logic is similar to that of a smartphone and includes an intelligent free-text search function. The new, more natural, voice-control system also understands input in normal everyday language, such as “I want to call Peter Miller.”
The handling of new A4 makes a great leap forward: on the one hand sporty and performance oriented, but with a focus on comfort at the same time. The suspension and steering filter out disturbances such as an uneven road surface, but communicate to the driver important information such as increases in lateral forces and tracking. This performance is based on the redeveloped five-link axles and the electromechanical power steering – they are exceptionally light. They lay the foundation for dynamic handling and first-class ride comfort while also reducing fuel consumption. Additional options are dynamic steering, which varies its ratio according to the car’s speed and the steering angle, and suspension with adjustable shock absorbers with which the driver can for the first time select between two settings: sports or comfort. Both of suspension settings are included in the Audi drive select driving-dynamics system, which is standard equipment for models with engines of 190 hp and above.
Widest range in its class: driver assistance and safety systems
The Audi A4 and A4 Avant set the benchmark in their class with numerous driver assistance systems. The predictive efficiency assistant helps drivers to save fuel, Audi active lane assist helps them to stay in lane and the Stop&Go adaptive cruise control including traffic-jam assist eases driving in slow-moving traffic. One special feature of traffic-jam assist is its control strategy. It takes into account a large number of parameters such as road markings and the traffic ahead. Some more innovations that make important contributions to safety are parking assist, rear cross-traffic assist, exit warning, collision avoidance assist, turn assist and the Audi pre-sense systems. Camera-based traffic-sign recognition is also available.
At a glance: The new Audi A4 and Audi A4 Avant
Exterior design and body
– Athletic proportions and sporty elegance; the Avant with raked D-pillars
– 4.73 meters long, 2.82-meter wheelbase, 1.84 meters wide, 1.43 meters high
– Optional LED headlights and matrix LED headlights with dynamic turn indicators
– Light body: weight reduced by up to 15 kilograms compared with the previous model
– Best drag coefficient in its class: 0.23 for the Sedan, 0.26 for the Avant; aeroacoustics ensure peace and quiet on board
– The longest interior and greatest shoulder width at the front compared with competitors
– Avant has a luggage compartment volume of 505 liters
– Avant has an electrical luggage compartment cover as standard
– Interior design with large decorative surfaces and continuous air vent strip; new colors and materials, spacious interior, LED interior lighting as standard equipment, first-class workmanship
– Largest range of lightweight seats amongst the premium competitors
– Automatic climate control with a new interface
– Optional LED interior lighting packages with color-adjustable ambient lighting
– New equipment concept with sport and design lines – for the first time with exterior differentiation
– Optionally available: head-up display and Audi virtual cockpit
– Completely redesigned MMI operating concept including free-text search function
– Can also be operated by multifunction steering wheel and natural-language voice control
Infotainment and Audi connect
– Optional top-end infotainment system MMI Navigation plus with MMI touch and an 8.3-inch MMI monitor including – Audi connect, LTE connectivity and Wi-Fi hotspot. Audi phone box available with inductive charging
– Many new Audi connect services including remote control via smartphone app to check and control the car
– Audi smartphone interface for connecting Apple and Android phones
– Bang & Olufsen Sound System with innovative 3D sound and Audi tablet as mobile rear-seat entertainment
– Three TFSI and four TDI engines at market launch, 150 hp to 272 hp, up to 25 percent more power
– Fuel consumption reduced by up to 21 percent, Audi A4 2.0 TDI ultra with new best figures: just 3.7 liters of diesel per 100 km (63.6 US mpg) and 95 grams of CO2 per kilometer
– Highly efficient 3.0 TDI in two power versions
– Economical 1.4 TFSI with 4.9 liters per 100 km and 114 grams CO2 per km
– New 2.0 TFSI ultra with 140 kW with newly developed combustion method and just 4.8 liters of gasoline per 100 km and 109 grams of CO2 per km
– A4 Avant g-tron – can operate on sustainably produced Audi e-gas
– New generations of the S tronic, tiptronic and manual transmission. S tronic in A4 for front-wheel drive for the first time, both automatic transmissions with freewheeling function
– Front-wheel drive or quattro drive with wheel-selective torque control
– Redesigned, light five-link axles at front and rear, significant increase in comfort with accentuated sportiness
– Newly developed electromechanical power steering, with dynamic steering on request
– Audi drive select dynamic driving system standard as of 190 hp, suspension with adjustable shock absorbers available as an option
Driver assistance systems and integrated safety
– Stop&Go adaptive cruise control including traffic-jam assist for slow-moving traffic
– Predictive efficiency assistant for even lower fuel consumption
– Audi active lane assist and Audi side assist
– New: parking assist, rear cross-traffic assist, exit warning, turn assist, collision avoidance assist and camera-based traffic-sign recognition
– New safety systems: Audi pre sense city, basic and rear