Lewis Hamilton took pole position for the Hungarian Grand Prix beating teammate Nico Rosberg by more than half a second. This is Hamiltons’s ninth pole in ten races this season.
This is also his fifth pole at Hungaroring. He has also won four races at the circuit which is the equivalent to the highest number of wins racked up by Michael Schumacher over his career. If Hamilton wins tomorrow’s race, he will be the person with maximum number of wins at this circuit. The previous wins were in 2007, 2009, 2012, 2013.
Hamilton set a time of 1m22.020 seconds. Rosberg was a distant second with a time of 1m22.595 seconds who was followed by Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari stopping the clock at 1m22.739 seconds. His former teammate Daniel Ricciardo will give him company in the second row with a time of 1m22.774seconds.
Finland’s Kimi Raikkonen and Valtteri Bottas, the person replacing him at Ferrari for the next season will be in the third row representing Ferrari and Williams in fifth and sixth place respectively. Daniil Kvyat qualified in seventh place , ahead of Felipe Massa of Williams. The 17 year old rookie, Max Verstappen and Romain Grosjean rounded of the top ten.
Force India surprisingly dropped out in Q2. The car showed a lot of promise in Q1 however Hulkenberg missed out on Q3 by .02 seconds. Sergio Perez qualified in 13th position after the horrific accident in practice yesterday where his car turned turtle.
1. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 22.020s
2. Nico Rosberg GER Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 22.595s
3. Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 22.739s
4. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull-Renault 1m 22.744s
5. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 23.020s
6. Valtteri Bottas FIN Williams-Mercedes 1m 23.222s
7. Daniil Kvyat RUS Red Bull-Renault 1m 23.332s
8. Felipe Massa BRZ Williams-Mercedes 1m 23.537s
9. Max Verstappen NED Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 23.679s
10. Romain Grosjean FRA Lotus-Mercedes 1m 24.181s
11. Nico Hulkenberg GER Force India-Mercedes 1m 23.826s
12. Carlos Sainz Jr ESP Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 23.869s
13. Sergio Perez MEX Force India-Mercedes 1m 24.461s
14. Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Mercedes 1m 24.609s
15. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda No time set
16. Jenson Button GBR McLaren-Honda 1m 24.739s
17. Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber-Ferrari 1m 24.843s
18. Felipe Nasr BRZ Sauber-Ferrari 1m 24.997s
19. Roberto Merhi SPA Manor Marussia-Ferrari 1m 27.416s
20. Will Stevens GBR Manor Marussia-Ferrari 1m 27.949s