Land Rover has been working with renewed vigour lately. They started manufacturing the Evoque in India in a bid to reduce the entry level price for SUV’s. Now with a lookalike in Discovery Sport, they are aiming for an even bigger pie of the luxury SUV market. Land Rover Discovery Sport was launched today in India at a starting price of Rs. 46.10 lakh inclusive of 3 year/100,000 km warranty and three year service pack.
Discovery Sport is much lighter thanks to the use of aluminium. 2.2-liter 4 cylinder diesel engine will be offered on all the variants with two tunings, one which can produce 147 BHP and the other churning out maximum power of 187 BHP mated to a 9-speed ZF automatic transmission which will be available only on the HSE luxury variant..
The Discovery will have three row seating with seating capabilities for 7 people. However, the third row is useless unless you have kids under 13 sitting there.The company calls it a 5+2seater instead of a seven seater as the last row seating is ideal for kids given the lack of space for an adult to fit in. There will be a 5-seater variant as well, which will offer a lot more boot space. It can wade through 600mm water, while the updated Terrain Response system helps it drive on different surfaces.
The replacement to Freelander, Discovery Sport will be available in 4 trims- S, SE, HSE and HSE LUXURY. 200 bookings have already been confirmed by Jaguar Land Rover even before the launch.
The Land Rover Discovery variant prices :
2.2L TD4 Diesel S: INR 46.10 Lakh (5 Seats)
2.2L TD4 Diesel SE: INR 51.01 Lakh (5+2 Seats)
2.2L TD4 Diesel HSE: INR 53.34 Lakh (5+2 Seats)
2.2L TD4 Diesel HSE Luxury: INR 60.70 Lakh(5 Seats), INR 62.18 Lakhs (5+2 Seats)
The features available on the trims:
The Land Rover Discovery Sport S:
- Land Rover Terrain Response
- Nine-Speed Automatic Transmission
- Hill Descent Control (HDC)
- Electronic Traction Control (ETC)
- Roll Stability Control (RSC)
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
- Front Fog Lamps
- Full Size Spare Wheel
- 6-speaker Land Rover Audio System
- 17 inch multi-spoke alloy wheels
- Fabric upholstery
Discovery Sport SE, in addition to the S comes with the following:
· Fixed panoramic roof
· Electrically adjustable and folding heated wing mirrors
· Automatic Xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lamps
· Rain sensing wipers
· 17-inch 10 spoke alloy wheels with full sized spare
· Part-leather seats with second row 60:40 split, slide and recline feature
· Cruise control
· Front and rear parking sensors
· Interior mood lighting
· 10-speaker audio system
· 7-seater option (available with smaller spare wheel)
The Discovery Sport HSE, in addition to the SE gains the following equipment:
· Grained leather seats and steering wheel
· Dual zone climate control
· 10- speaker premium audio system
The top-spec Discovery Sport HSE, comes with the following:
· Adaptive MagneRide suspension Contrast roof shade
· Adaptive Xenon headlamps
· Premium “Windsor” Leather seats and carpets
· 17-speaker Premium Meridian Surround sound audio
· Rear-seat entertainment package.
Discovery Sport will be available in 6 color options: Fuji Whit, Indus Silver, Scotia Grey, Firenze Red, Aintree Green, Loire Blue, Santorini Black.
The car will have competition in the form of Audi Q5, BMW X3 and Volvo XC60. Land Rover vehicles are available in India through 22 authorised outlets in cities such as Ahmedabad, Aurangabad, Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Pune and Mumbai.